Sunday, March 20, 2011

Architectual Digest Home Design Show


Sorry I haven't been writing lately, but I was out doing design research! I had the opportunity though The New Traditionalists to attend the Architectural Digest Home Design Show at Pier 94 in New York. After being at the NYIGF, this show was smaller and more manageable (aka my feet did not die), not to mention that all of the vendors and designers were more than happy to talk to me and a fellow student even though we were not active designers. This was a huge benefit to going to a more intimate show.

This show was also excellent because it showcased two other "mini shows" in one. Firstly, DIFFA, Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS, presented Dining by Design where numerous designers partnered with companies like Coca-Cola and Neiman Marcus to exhibit wild and beautiful dining table setting installations to benefit the program.

Secondly, upstairs at Pier 92 was The Artist Project New York, a new way for independent artists to show their work in NY. Now to be perfectly honest, I think that this was my favorite part of the entire show. Being from a liberal arts school and majoring in visual arts, I have had the opportunity to be an active member in the art world and I think that it is an extremely important part of design. Sometimes I think that designers can forget where the product is coming from, and events like these allow both designers and artist to connect and chat about design. I met some very talented artists and I am always delighted by their eccentricities and passion that I think can get lost at swanky high-end galleries. Events like these allow designers to see numerous kinds of artwork at once and give a more relaxed and casual setting where you can really learn about the art without all of the expectations of being "with the in-crowd".

Overall, We saw A LOT of very inspiring booths and I will post many pictures tomorrow once I find my phone charger...

No comments:

Post a Comment